Friday, April 14, 2006

The IT Crowd Goes to Westminster

Am off again for the Easter weekend. But not before quoting this delightful exchange from a recent debate in Parliament on the new law (yes that one again!) making it (or intending to make it) illegal to design, use and sell hacking and DDOS tool kits.

"The hon. Member for Hornsey and Wood Green (Lynne Featherstone) was right to raise the issue that hacking tools are often used by computer technicians to rectify problems. I have been very stressed since Monday morning, when I switched on my desktop computer in Norman Shaw, North only to get an error message and find that I could not access my programmes, my e-mail or anything else. Fortunately, I have another computer. I phoned extension 2001 and eventually managed to speak to an intelligent life form, although it took a little while, as we know happens with extension 2001.

The Chairman: Order. The hon. Gentleman’s travails are deeply fascinating to the Committee, but we have to get back to the amendment under consideration.

Michael Fabricant: As ever, I accept your guidance, Mr. Conway. Mr. Graham Lugton, who I suspect is in my room this very moment, might be using that [diagnostic tool] software.

Stephen Pound (Ealing, North) (Lab): Wiping your history, I hope."

See http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmstand/d/st060328/am/60328s03.htm .

No comments: